Spring Cleaning Preparations Tips for the Exterior of Your HomeFeb 21, 2023
Spring is just around the corner and is a great time to spruce up the exterior of your home!
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
Spring cleaning the exterior of your home can be a great way to freshen up the appearance of your property and improve your curb appeal. A few good tips for getting started include:
- Check your roof for missing or damaged shingles and repair or replace as necessary.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts of any debris.
- Wash your windows and exterior siding with a mild soap solution.
- Trim back any overgrown bushes or trees and remove any dead branches.
- Pressure wash the driveway, sidewalks, and patio.
- Check the exterior paint for any signs of chipping or fading and touch up or repaint as necessary.
- Replace any cracked or broken window panes.
- Clean your outdoor furniture and make any necessary repairs.
- Check for any pest infestations and treat them accordingly.
- Re-seal any exposed wood with a protective sealant.
Following these tips will help ensure that your home looks its best for the upcoming spring season!
But What about major issues on the exterior of your home?
Major issues on the exterior of your home can range from damage caused by weather elements like wind, rain, and hail, to pest infestations and insect damage. It’s important to regularly inspect your home’s exterior, particularly the siding, decking, and windows. If you notice any damage, it’s important to address it as soon as possible to prevent any further damage or costly repair bills down the line. However, if your home’s exterior has major repair issues, you should consider replacing or remodeling the area completely.
What to do about rotted siding?
If you have rotted siding, it is important to address the issue quickly. The best way to do this is to inspect the area to determine the extent of the damage. If it is only a small area, you may be able to patch it with a special sealant or putty. If the damage is more extensive, you may need to replace the affected section with new siding. Be sure to clean and repair any underlying structural damage as well, such as wood rot. Investing in a quality sealant or paint is also a good idea to protect your siding in the future.
However, if you have a larger area of rotted siding, you may consider a full house siding replacement. As the siding wears out, the maintenance cycle and repair time shortens.And It may be worth it to replace and upgrade your siding now.
7 signs to replace your siding
- Check for any signs of cracking, warping, or peeling.
- Look for signs of water damage, such as discoloration or mold.
- Check for signs of insect infestation or nesting.
- Look for any gaps between the siding and the house frame.
- Check for any gaps between panels or pieces of siding.
- Inspect the siding for fading or chalking.
- Look for any signs of rust or corrosion.
Home Wizard Remodeling is a proud partner of James Hardie, read more on our blog post below to learn more about their siding materials.
What to do about rotted decking materials?
Replacing rotted decking materials is the best way to address the issue. Depending on the extent of the damage, you may be able only to replace the rotted boards, or you may need to replace the entire deck. Be sure to use pressure-treated lumber or naturally durable wood, such as cedar or redwood, when replacing decking materials. Or another option for lower maintenance use composite decking material. Additionally, consider applying a waterproof sealant or stain to protect the wood from moisture and UV damage. Lastly, make sure to inspect the deck regularly to catch any signs of damage early.
5 signs to replace your decking
- Look for rot or decay in your current decking. If you notice any warping or discoloration, it could signify that it’s time to replace your decking.
- Check for areas of insect infestations. If you notice any wood-boring insects, like termites or carpenter ants, it’s likely time to replace your decking.
- Check for loose or missing boards. If any boards are loose or missing, it’s a sign that your decking is unsafe and needs to be replaced.
- Look for signs of wear and tear. If your decking is faded or stained from the elements, consider replacing it.
- Listen for creaking or cracking noises. If your deck floor makes loud noises when you walk on it, it could signify that it’s time to replace it.
Learn more about what is the best decking material to use at your home.
What about rotted windows?
Rotted windows can be a serious problem. If left untreated, they can cause major water damage to the home. The best way to prevent this is to regularly inspect your windows for any signs of rot or decay, and repair them as soon as possible. If the rot has already spread, it may be necessary to replace the window entirely. Be sure to use high-quality materials, like PVC trim, designed to withstand the elements and provide long-lasting protection.
6 signs you need windows replaced
- Your windows are drafty and letting in cold air.
- Due to failed window seals, your windows are foggy and letting in moisture.
- Your windows are cracked or broken.
- Your windows are painted shut.
- Your windows are difficult to open and close.
- Your windows need to be updated and energy efficient.
If you’re ready to brighten up the exterior of your home for your Roswell, Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Woodstock, Atlanta, Georgia home, Contact Home Wizards Remodeling today at 770-998-1809. If your spring cleaning reveals more issues than just a cleaning or small DIY repair, we can help enhance your home’s outdoor exterior with new siding, deck, windows and more!
Home Wizards Remodeling can upgrade your home exterior with our professional siding, gutter, roofing, painting, window replacements, decks, porches,patios, and outdoor living services.