Is Replacing Your Siding a Good Investment?May 01, 2023
What is the best reason to replace the siding of your residential home?
When you think about the benefits of siding, you probably think of how siding helps maintain your home’s curb appeal. While this is true, the main purpose of siding goes far beyond aesthetics. Siding is your home’s first defense against poor weather and outside conditions.
Old or damaged siding can make your home look worn down, decrease its value, and lead to potential water damage and energy inefficiency. Upgrading your siding can enhance curb appeal, increase energy efficiency, increase the value, and protect your home from the elements.
What happens if you do not replace your rotted siding?
If you do not replace your rotted siding, it can further damage your home’s exterior and potential moisture and insulation issues. Additionally, it can decrease the value and curb appeal of your home.
Top 5 reasons to replace your siding
- Improved Energy Efficiency: Newer siding technology can better insulate your home, reducing energy bills and making your home more comfortable year-round.
- Increased Property Value: Replacing your siding can give your home a fresh, updated look, increasing its curb appeal and overall value.
- Enhanced Protection: New siding can provide better protection from the elements, including wind, rain, and extreme temperatures, helping to preserve your home’s structure.
- Reduced Maintenance: Older siding may require frequent repairs and maintenance, while new siding can be more durable and require less upkeep.
- Health and Safety: Old siding may contain harmful substances like asbestos or lead-based paint, which can pose health risks. Replacing your siding can help to ensure a safer, healthier living environment.
How does siding increase home value?
According to Credit Karma, replacing your home’s worn-out, old, or unattractive exterior siding will add value. How much value generally depends on the type of material.
Fiber cement siding
Replacing your existing siding with new fiber cement siding (such as James Hardie products) may add about $15,100 in value, according to the 2022 Remodeling Cost vs. Value report. The cost estimates assume you’re replacing about 1,250 square feet with the new siding painted in the factory. This appreciation in value represents a roughly 68% return on investment.
Installing new vinyl siding will increase your home value by about $12,500, according to the 2022 Cost vs. Value report. This also assumes that about 1,250 square feet of new siding is being installed and represents a 67% return on investment.
Learn More about siding materials at our blog “Fiber Cement Siding vs. Vinyl Siding“.
Why is James Hardie siding a good choice?
James Hardie’s siding is a good choice for several reasons. It is durable, low-maintenance, and resistant to damage from weather, fire, and insects. Additionally, it comes in various styles and colors, allowing homeowners to customize the look of their homes. Lastly, it is backed by a strong warranty, providing peace of mind for homeowners.
Color Trends for siding replacement
Some popular color trends for siding replacement include neutral shades like gray, beige, and white, and bolder options like navy blue and forest green. It ultimately depends on your personal style and the overall aesthetic of your home. To learn more, read our blog “Replacement Siding Color Options“.
According to the National Association of Realtors (NAR), homeowners looking for the most bang for their buck in remodeling projects should put exterior replacement projects, like siding, at the top of their lists.
If you are ready to update your home’s siding, we can help enhance your Roswell, Marietta, Alpharetta, Woodstock, Dunwoody, Atlanta Georgia home. Contact Home Wizards Remodeling today at 770-998-1809.
Home Wizards Remodeling is celebrating 20 years of remodeling and can upgrade your home exterior with our professional siding, gutter, roofing, painting, window replacements, decks, porches, and outdoor living services.